Saturday, September 10, 2011

The downs and ups of one week... Wisconsin here I come!

This week has been a roller coaster.  I went to physical therapy on Tuesday, in pain from my back injury.  After an hour with the physical therapist, Steve (he's awesome!), we came to the conclusion that my back might be worse off then expected.  Could be a disc issue and I was probably off to get x-rays next week.  So there I was... with montezuma's revenge from open water swimming in the potomac and a bummed back that didn't have a great outlook.  I was thinking - there goes my marathon in January and maybe I shouldn't sign up for IM. Needless to say I was disappointed and feeling miserable.

On Friday I head off to go to PT... not holding my head up high.  Well, I'm happy to report - progress has been made with my back!  My L5 segment decided to move back into place!  Yay!  So after 30 mins. of deep tissue massage I went and did my core exercises and had some great convo with the PT, Kerri (she's awesome too).  It's PT sessions like that, which make me realize I'm so lucky to have such a great support system around me.  Not only do I have the best family and friends, but I have great support from all my doctors that keep my body working.  As I was laying there with ice on my back I asked the inevitable scary question "Kerri, do you really think I could do Wisconsin next year now that my back is starting to get better?" and she said YES, if I was dedicated to it.  Welp, that's all I needed.  I've learned to read Kerri over the years - and that wasn't her response of "that's not a good idea".  Well, Kerri never actually says that... she just gives me the look of uhhh huhhhh sure Rachel???

Sign-ups are on Monday... scary!

No comments:

Post a Comment